Using your OneLife iD identity
This section is an Overview of OneLife iD - for details on creating and updating your personal OneLife iD Account and Profile, see that section below.
Welcome to OneLife iD, the new, fully interactive ID band that:
- Functions as a personal ID during sport, socialising or at work
- Protects you and your stuff during travel, exercise or out and about
- Displays updateable emergency, medical, social and contact information
- Provides a 'one-stop' personal ID webpage that can be used in social media
With OneLife iD you will benefit from the following:
- Updateable - online pages mean your ID profile content and design can be updated whenever required - even change for different events, functions, moods.
- Capacity - holds almost as much as you want - detailed medial information, multiple emergency contacts, documents (travel insurance), photos, website links.
- Multi-function - the ID provides emergency contacts, important medical information plus social and lost and found uses. You can also use your personalised URL in other situations for example in your e-mail signature block, on business cards or luggage tags.
- Daily use - unlike a traditional Emergency ID that is hopefully never used, your OneLife iD can be put to use regularly providing connections for friends, family & children, identifying pets and valuables as well as providing ID for business, networking, travel and social occasions.
- Choice - you can opt to store all your information online or, if you need additional re-assurance, OneLife iD provide ICE engraving on the product itself to support the online ID profiles.
To get started we suggest you follow these 3 simple steps:
- Educate yourself on how to make the most of QR codes and QR readers
- Populate your 'My Account' personal OneLife iD webpages
- Communicate - learn how to share you details with friends, colleagues and emergency responders
You will find all the information you need in the FAQ but as a Quick-Start why not click to read our "Getting Started" guide (PDF document).
We hope you find this section useful in helping you get the best from the QR Code readers.
With QR Code scanning there are 3 variables:
- The QR Code scanning application (or app)
- The device or SmartPhone you are using
- How you use it - which is covered in the next section
QR Code Scanning Apps
There are a wide range of QR scanners available for smartphones including: iPhone, Android and Blackberry.
Just visit the app services page for your phone and search for "QR code", "QR readers" or "QR scanners". Most of the apps are free to download and use.
Most QR code scanning applications will keep a history of the codes they have scanned, allowing anyone who has scanned your code to revisit your page later or to store your profile page in their contacts. Some applications allow you to post your new contacts directly to Facebook or Twitter or email.
The QR scanners are all different. Most QR scanners have the following capabilities:
- Scanning - some scanners are better than others at scanning the OneLife ID tags. Some are good in variable light conditions with others offering 'light' to allow scanning in the dark
- Scan history and favourites - most scanners record your scan history but some are better than others at letting you view who you scanned and how your organise your favourites
- Social media integration - for those 'social-networks' some QR scanners offer a range of ways of interacting with social media including the ability to share details of those you have scanned on Faceboook, Twitter and more
In our view, the priority is choosing an App that scans your QR code well. Don't just settle for the first one you download. Some just don't work very well or were designed for a different purpose eg Barcodes. Try a few out in different light conditions, consider selecting one with a light for night scanning. Once you have settled on 2 - 4 that work for you then consider what other functions are most important for you and which App that scans well meets your needs.
Here at OneLife iD we have tested many of the most popular apps and the following work well: Redlaser, TapMedia, Scanlife, QR Droid, Optiscan, QR Barcode Scanner, or the ZXing scanner.
To help you out we have included summaries of a few of the QR Code Scanners that we have reviewed (see QR Code Scanner Reviews below)
Device or SmartPhone
The scanning or reading of OneLife iD QR codes is supported across most current smartphones. We have found that it is necessarily the most expensive SmartPhone that works best. Some SmartPhone and App combinations are slow to scan because, whilst the camera quality is excellent, it is constantly re-focussing which impacts scan performance.
Firstly select a scanner that works on your phone, just because an App works for a friend, it may not work as well on yours if it is a different type of SmartPhone.
All of the SmartPhones will work but it takes a little research and experimentation to establish which combination is best for you.
QR Code Scanner Reviews
As some QR readers work better on certain SmartPhone types we have grouped our reviews under the following:
We have tested these products purely from OneLife iD's perspective ie scanning the QR code on the ID tag. For an independent view try the following link to a set of reviews by Chris Edwards on the 708 Media web site
Another source of QR Scanner reviews is here.
Efficient scanning of QR codes relies on the scanning application seeing the QR code clearly and detecting the contrast between the dark and light parts of the code. Codes will scan more quickly in good light and where glare or reflections are minimised.
We have done hours of testing various applications in different light conditions and using ID plates with different laser engraving approaches and sizes.
We have settled on the current contrast and size as it works in the majority of situations. We have our favourite apps and 9/10 allow the phones to scan immediately.
Here are our tips to how you can get your SmartPhone to scan quickly and easily:
- Select the best App for you and your phone - don't settle on the first - download a few and test them out
- Practise scanning - we have found the following:
- Hold the plate and SmartPhone still
- Troubleshooting - if it doesn't work after a couple of attempts:
- Try tilting the plate slightly
- Move the phone away and then let it re-focus
- Vary the distance between phone and plate to find the optimal distance
- Try turning the QR code round 90 degress - (some apps may not use the orientation indicators within the QR code)
- Light Conditions
- The best conditions are good daylight but you can scan in most conditions with a good App (with light) and technique)
- Avoid glare - from bright lights eg flickering fluorescent lights create difficult conditions for scanning
- Avoid dingy light conditions - it is best to use the light (available on many Apps) to scan
Activating your OneLife iD product
With your product you will receive a Product ID and an Activation Code. This is included on the instruction card with the Product and/or your despatch e-mail (note the e-mail normally includes a direct link to your activation page).
Once you have these go to www.onelifeid.com/activate and follow the instructions.
- Enter the Product ID and Activation Code and click on Activate
- For New Users you will need to create an account by selecting an Account Name (it needs to be an e-mail address) and password.
- For existing users you can attach the new Product ID to your existing Account
Now you are ready to 'Create and Update' your Personal OneLife iD 'My Account'.
Overview - Populating your OneLife iD 'My Account'
Creating and customising your OneLife iD 'My Account' profile is easy. Start by logging into the OneLife iD website and activating your account (see above).
Once you have activated your 'My Account' you can re-visit the 'Admin' section of your Account at any time to update or add further information (see next section).
First login to the OneLife iD system using the 'Sign In' button at the top right hand corner of the 'Home Page' You can then add as much or as little information as you want to. You can also update your profile at anytime, as many times as you need to.
Simply work your way down the various sections of the 'My Account' profile editor, adding your personal information, creating links to your online social media sites, adding photos, emergency contacts, relevant medical information and business information.
At any point review what people can see by clicking 'Public' in the top right hand corner. To return to editing your profile select Admin. Remember, whilst you are 'Signed In' you can view your emergency details without entering your PIN. However, others can only see your Emergency section when they have access to, and enter, your PIN (engraved on the ID tag).
If you just want to use your page for emergency and medical information that is fine. For anyone with a registration to an existing medical site such as the "Organ Donor Register" or "MedicAlert®", that connection can be added too.
Or take visitors directly to your Facebook or Twitter page by using the redirection feature.
Entering Details to the OneLife iD My 'Account' Sections
This section provides help on what to fill-in and why it could be useful? Each section also includes additional help and guidance. The progress bars on the 'My Account' page and above important sections highlight how complete your information is.
This area is called My Account. It comprises 7 expanding 'Accordian' sections some of which include additional tabs. There's no need to complete all sections - just the ones you want on your OneLife iD mobile webpage.
- Personal Information - your basic details plus 'mood' wallpapers to customise the look of your personal ID webpage.
- Social Profile - your social media links such as Facebook or Twitter plus any other favourite websites. Also includes an 'About Me' tab where you can provide more information about your life and what you do at work and play.
- Emergency Page
- ICE (In Case of Emergency) contacts. Up to 3 contacts with 2 contact numbers per person. Provides auto dial facility. Also details of GP and NHS number.
- emergency medical details such as medical conditions, allergies or important medication - even upload important images or documents such as medical documents or insurance policy details.
- Auto 'last reviewed' date time stamp
- Lost Property - contact details to enable people to return your stuff if they find it, could be used for your phone, laptop even your pets. Going away on holiday or a day trip why not get the kids to wear a OneLife iD with your contact details on?
- Photos - add photos to be used as the profile images plus other favourite photos.
- Redirection - if you don't need a profile here but want to link your QR code to another site (eg Facebook page) then switch the redirection facility on or off at any time.
Now you are ready to share your interactive OneLife iD personal webpage. Friends, contacts and emergency responders can use free QR code reader apps to read your information.
Do you take your Smartphone with you everywhere you go? Then load up OneLife iD’s Mobile ICE Smartphone Screen and have your ICE details readily available.
The Mobile ICE Screen is a simple 'photo' or screenshot image of your OneLife iD personal ID web pages that you save as your SmartPhone screensaver or wallpaper.
Simple to set-up and easy for first responders to access. Decide what you want to display and load the image as your smartphone’s locked screen.
Setting Up your Mobile ICE Screen Content
- Sign in to your OneLife iD User Account (top RH corner of the home page) this takes you to the User Admin section of your profile
- Go to the emergency section and select the 3rd tab - Mobile ICE Screen
- Select the information* you want to make available on your ICE screen
- Review your ICE screen info and screen. Adjust the information and layout so it is visible on your smartphone. Remember that any Allergies, Medications and Past medical history may be important for first responders to know about.
Loading ICE Screen
- On your smartphone go to the public view of your OneLife iD account eg www.onelifeid.com/danrob
- Select the Emergency section and enter your pin
- Select ‘go to my Smartphone ICE Screen’
- Take a screen shot (phones vary on how you do this) and ‘crop' or 'scale’ the image to suit your smartphone's screen size.
- Load the image as your screensaver, lock screen and/or wallpaper
Don't have a OneLife iD Account?
You can get a OneLife iD account by purchasing any OneLife iD product.
Updates and improvements
We aim to develop different Mobile ICE Screen features to suit the various Smartphones on the market. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your requests and suggestions
Sharing OneLife iD - now you are ready to share your interactive OneLife iD personal webpage. Friends, contacts and emergency responders can use free QR code reader apps to read your information.
- Sharing - share your details, or the details of someone you have met and scanned, with others using the 'share' functions available on many of the QR scanners and readers. 'Share' facilities are normally available for e-mail, SMS, Twitter and Facebook. Some even offer Geo-spatial data
- E-mail - add your unique onelifeid.com url eg www.onelifeid.com/danrob to your e-mail signature block. Means the reader can easily access your updated details
- Social Media - Tweet or share on Facebook the details of people you have just met
- Social Media - Use the URL as your personal website on Social Media sites eg Linked-In, Twitter, Facebook etc
Take a look at some examples to see how you might build your own profile page
OneLife iD recognises and appreciates the importance of responsible use of information collected through the OneLife iD website. We will use information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and any other laws or regulations currently in force in the United Kingdom (the "Data Protection Legislation").
We are registered at OIC (Office of Information Commissioner) as a data controller under the Data Protection Act 1998.
OneLife iD does not keep a record of credit/debit card details. These are handled by our Merchant Services Provider.
Adventure iD (one-piece soft silicon band)
Small - not currently available
Medium - 180mm to fit wrist 150mm - 180mm
Large - 202mm to fit wrist 180 - 202mm
Classic iD (Fabric band with velcro closure)
Small - 225mm length to fit wrist up to 160mm
Medium - 265mm length to fit wrist up to 200mm
Large - 265mm length to fit wrist up to 200mm
Active iD (Adjustable soft silicon band with stainless steel watch-type clasp)
Small - Active iD is adjustable to any size
Medium- Active iD is adjustable to any size
Large - Active iD is adjustable to any size